Sooooo...the bike. My bike arrives on the 8th so will stay around here until then and begin heading to Ushuaia when she arrives. I decided to do this trip in July 2010 which gave me about 6 months to prepare. The 2010 Suzuki DR650 was dubbed "Nessie"...ask me why over a beer some time. In the 6 months a few things were done to make it road ready for the world...and a lot less was done to it than others have done to the same model. They include:
- fitting Dunlop D606 tyres (similar to Continental TKC80s)
- making 2 pannier racks and one top rack (replacing the stock pillion handles and moving the indicators onto the rack
- removing the sidestand killswitch
- adding a switch to turn all the lights off on the bike
- adding 2 12V cigarette adapters with inline fuses and switches
- adding barkbusters and a windshield (problematic as they use the same mounting space on the bars - yet to be resolved)
- adding an inline fuel filter and tap on a T-piece for stove filling.
- fabricating an aliminium mount on the handle bar mounts for all the switches and cigarette adapters
- adding a small sheepskin to the stock seat - really makes no difference I think
- added bashplate and aluminium footrest on front for extra body movement (chopper style on a dirtbike!)
- still have stock - tank, bars, seat, jetting/airbox, pipe
See some pics below. More later!
The family before I left. My brother!
Rack on RHS LHS rack.